What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up.
1 Corinthians 14:26
PLEASANT GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH, INC. was established in a Fellowship Hall in 1879. Elected pastors in the late 1880’s and early 1890’s were: the late Joe Ham, Handy Ham, John Gregg, Solomon Chestnut, Olden Chestnut. During the early part of the 1900’s to 1920, the Church was blessed through the leadership of the late Reverends S. C. Copplin, Z. M. Mace and Eddie Buie. Between the late 1920’s and early 30’s, the late Rev. W. C. Graham was a strong courageous pastor for 38 years, and Rev. Oscar Cross served for 50 years as a faithful Assistant Pastor and member. The late Rev. C. F. Stanley was pastor for 11 years after at the demise of Rev. W. C. Graham. The church had dedicated assistant pastors: Reverends Phillip Bell, Cephus Brantley and Oscar Cross..
Dr. Alvin C. Robinson has served to pastor from 1976 to present. He retired from the Public School system and became a full time pastor because of the growth of his congregation in past years. The building sits on five acres, and Pastor Robinson envisions future growth of a family life center, adult day care center and even a business complex. During Pastor Robinson’s tenure, many accomplishments were made such as: Bus Ministry, Tape Ministry, Discipleship Class, the Movement of Services from one Sunday per month to every Sunday, the Youth Choir, the Hospitality Ministry, the establishment of the new Sanctuary, the adoption of the Jenkins Nursing Home, annual picnic for the church family, weekly Vesper Services, Bible Study/Prayer Service, and ad infinitum.
A tornado demolished the first church on November 7, 1995. The roof from the old church was lifted up and turned backwards and the brick work had shifted during the tornado, making it unsafe to use. The damages forced members to move the church in 1997 to its present location, off U.S. Highway #501 bypass. The second church, 14 years old, was destroyed during Pastor Robinson’s 21st year on Sunday, March 2, 1997. Currently, the new building off U.S. #501 bypass is 12,080 square feet and about 3,000 more than the former church building. The A. C. Robinson Family Resource Center was added to the church, and it incorporates various programs as follows: Afternoon tutor day care center, adult day care, a gym/exercise unit, and a business complex (multi-purpose) are now a reality.
If disaster strikes again in the next 100 years, the next generation(s) will find embedded in the cornerstones encased in plastic bags the rolls of members names, a copy of the newspaper for that day (Morning News), current coins and currencies, and the church bulletin placed behind the cornerstones. The names of pastors and church officials are carved into the stone pieces.
In celebration of over 200 years of service to Marion County and to preserve church history, cornerstones from the original church (destroyed by a tornado), and the present church were set in the side of the sanctuary in 2005. Preserving our history is very important to members of Pleasant Grove Missionary Baptist Church, Inc., and these cornerstones will enable this history to live on.